Monday, February 27, 2006

it's a long shot... but I need to keep trying

Most cartoonists dream of getting a cartoon published in the New Yorker. The New Yorker receives 3,000 cartoon submissions a week. Payment is $575 and up for one cartoon.

The New Yorker's cartoon editor, Bob Mankoff, submitted ten cartoons a week for two years before he finally sold one in 1977.

I sent them seven cartoons about four years ago. I got this rejection slip in exactly a week. Somehow having my first New Yorker rejection slip made me feel like I had entered the club of real cartoonists.

9 comments:

Badoozie said...

so did you ever get one in? i suggest you get back at it. get back up on that horse woman!! don't let a little bad luck getcha down, give er another round!!

Seeker said...

At least you know someone looked at it. I agree you should keep trying. Your work is good.

Bar Bar A said...

Don't give up!!!!

Michelle said...

Wow, it's like you've really made it! How cool, i hope you frame it, then when one is accepted you can hang the acceptance notice right next door!!

Mr. Althouse said...

That is a high level turn down. I knew you were somebody!!

~Mike

Thomas said...

You had me at rejected New Yorker cartoonist.

Aunt Jo said...

keep bombarding them jen they might say yes just to get you to stop. haha

really you should try again! bloggers are great fodder for cartoons.... :o)

Nerdine said...

your cartoons are great - The New Yorker would be lucky to print them...

Jenn said...

I have not submitted any more cartoons to the New Yorker since that first time. I plan to get another batch together. We'll see. If I get one in someday, I'll let you all know about it!

(Really, any of you could send in some doodles, and as long as you include a self addressed stamped envelope, they will send you one of these rejection slips.)