Saturday, January 21, 2006

here is my refrigerator

By Susie's request, here is the inside of my refrigerator. On the left is the freezer. This is the most idiotic design for a freezer I have ever had to live with. It is way too skinny. You cannot fit a frozen pizza in there. The shelves do not adjust in any reasonable manner so I took one out and now everything sits in a pile in there. We inherited this refrigerator/freezer from the previous owners of our house.

I was delighted that those Friendly's holiday ice cream logs were on sale, 2 for $5. Now they are getting old and gross.


Notice the giant bottle of sake in the door. I used two tablespoons of that in a Japanese recipe. I need to find some more recipes that use sake because I'm not interested in drinking it. The best tasting and easiest recipe for teriyaki sauce is made with mirin (sweetened sake). 2 parts mirin, 2 parts soy sauce and 1 part sugar. Mix it all together over low heat so the sugar dissolves. Marinate some chicken or salmon in it. Keep some leftover for dipping. It is delicious. This "Sushi Chef" mirin has that recipe on the label.

My husband insists that I have to try this Vegenaise because it's just so delicious. I will take his word for it.









One more thing that makes my refrigerator unique... there are always anchovies. Anytime we're eating leftovers for dinner, George is content as long as he has his anchovies. I know you're all thinking, "YUM!"

10 comments:

Jenn said...

That is feta cheese. At George's parents' Brooklyn apartment they will eat canned fish for any meal including breakfast. Some of it's not too bad. I don't mind the matjes herring. I don't eat it for breakfast though.

Jenn said...

In front is Newman's Limeade, very tasty. Behind that there is orange juice.

Suzy-Q said...

I have never and will never eat an anchovie. Promise.

I am glad someone eats them though....less for me to worry about.

Is that orange juice or fancy milk?

~Jennifer said...

Anchovies? You mean people really eat those?

Jenn said...

Actually most of that isn't leftovers, it's right after a trip to the grocery store. There are a ton of fresh vegetables in plastic bags all piled up in there. Some salmon,
free-range chicken, and I'm sure some new cans of anchovies.

Michelle said...

I congratulate you Jenn! No science experiments happening....well done :)

Nerdine said...

hey!
finally something I recognize!! Kong Oscar Anchovies!! YAY! we get those here too... DUH

It's fascinating to see your frdges people... They're so different than the Norwegian ones..

Jenn said...

Nerdine, since you are from Norway I will believe you are not being sarcastic.

In Disneyworld there is a Norwegian restaurant. It is the tastiest buffet there is, with all kinds of smoked fish.

Nerdine said...

you're right - I wasn't sarcastic actually. I've been looking at all these fridges and all I recognize are the fruits and vegetables. But the anchovies I know! Although we actually call them sardines here. Strange huh? And confusing...

Jenn said...

anchovies...oh, yeah, Im thinking YUM.

I've tried vegenaise. not my favorite.

I don't have the Mirin in my fridge although, I do have year old bottle of Fuki Sake. I do. Im such a boozer. I am so ashamed.